Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Home Stretch

I have two more chalk boards waiting to be grouted and I just don't think I'm going to make it down to the basement tonight. I've spoken with other artists about inventory and I think it's a universal feeling to think you never have enough before a show or event. I did get a few things done this week, including this Valentine chalk board.

I used lots of the great stuff I got from my antique mall adventures last weekend.

Including this great plastic vintage figurine. It may be too light to read, but the heart he is holding says, "be mine". I wonder where he came from. What was he carrying around in that heart he's holding?

The red button on the top left came from one of the jars I bought last weekend. Same with the pink, white, and red beaded earring.

Remember these vintage fruit magnets? I think just about everybody had a set of these at one time. They just look like they go in the kitchen, don't they?

I got the orange chalk holder while thrift store shopping with my mom a couple of weekends ago. I almost forgot about it and started to use another chalk holder. Glad I remembered because it fits right in with the rest of the fruit.

A strawberry and an orange.

Of course, I knocked out a few switch plates. Here's a yellow plastic cowboy who looks like he wants to raise some hell.

A plastic blue ram just may be one of the strangest things I've put in a switch plate to date. I said maybe because I'd really have to think about it to know for sure.

More vintage plastic animals. These are cream and there's a piggie, a chicken, and a lamb. More weird mosaics, but I've already used that title in a post.

I can't use this concrete pelican in a mosaic, but I couldn't pass him up. I found him in the Jessie James Antique Mall last weekend and the guy behind me told me I had my work cut out for me to repaint him. I looked at him like, "are you kidding?!" He is perfect just the way he is!! Then, he looked at me like I was very, very strange.

Concrete statues are my new favorite thing. I have a great cherub I got last year from the Curious sofa and I love the concrete head I took a picture of a couple posts down. Donnie at the River Market Antique Mall has some great ones, too. For now, I'm really enjoying my pelican just the way he is, thank you.

2 comments:

andrea said...

Hey Kelly,

Love that little valentine guy! See you saturday at STUFF.

A Wild Thing said...

me too...love the cement stuff. I too have a pelican that's old and weathered and his head has been glued back on...who cares, he reminds me of Florida every day, as I shiver away in Iowa!