Thursday, March 4, 2010

Birdie Commune

I've been working hard on the Birdie Commune. I am more than ready for spring and these birdhouses just get me in the mood to dig in the garden and take long walks in the warm sun. Anyone else out there agree?!

This little birdie hut is the first in the series and will go to Stuff today. I got the yard sticks at a garage sale over the summer and knew what I was going to use them for at the time I bought them . . . finally!

I love chunks of old metal hardware. It is sometimes so ornate and "Victorian".

The metal circle at the bottom of the front entrance is an old drawer pull.

And I've been doing a few hanging plaques. The dog bone is made of polymer clay.

I had a dream about putting pennies on the roof of this one and got up at 5:30 a.m. one morning to do it. I wish I had dreams about doing housework.

I called the second house in the series "The Pink Chateau". I wonder where I got that inspiration?

Again with the Victorian-esque inspiration! I think the figurine came from Sparks flea market. Can't wait to hit that this spring!

And I love the red and pink combo. I can't remember if it's Romantic Homes or Country Living that features a red and pink home this month?? The story is about an English family who bought a French home and the decor is to die for. Next in the Birdie Commune series: The Tropicana Tweet Club. I think that one will go up to Sister's in Iowa. Off to work I go!

3 comments:

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

I love the 'copper' roof on the round bird house! Such a fabulous idea! The mosaic work is great too. You're a very creative girl!

andrea said...

The penny roof house is FABULOUS!

Unknown said...

I think there is something very whimsical about this piece. Incorpoarating the pennies truly allows a new dimension of thought to take place. It's as if penny= soda fountain shop or gum ball machine= playful birdhouse. Then again one might think the birds would give two cents about what their home looked like :)