Sunday, January 10, 2010

Happy Birthday Mom!

Jason and I had a birthday party for my mom yesterday. I love this pic of she and my dad, they are even color-coordinated! I wonder if they planned that?

It took me forever to make this cake (lie). Baskin Robbins makes the best cakes. This was a white cake with strawberry ice cream. Yum.

Dash enjoyed helping Grammy blow out the candles.

And because baby Kiran came early here in KC and NOT Chicago, my brother and his wife were able to be here.

We had Jack Stack BBQ for lunch, so since I was not slaving over the food, I was able to do what I like to do before a party, rearrange my stuff.

I got these silver and glass decanters with the Curious Sofa gift certificate Jas got me for Christmas. The bugs came from Mothology, a site I've blogged about before with all kinds of wonderful treasures.

The glass jar originally came from the Mission Road Antique Mall and was filled with dice. That particular dealer kind of specializes in putting interesting collections in glass jars.

I went through my mosaic materials stash and found a bunch of antique drawer pulls. I think they look pretty cool stuffed in the glass jar.

More mosaic stash. I have so much stuff I can't even keep track of it all. I go searching for glitter and I can't find glitter, but I find tintypes. I start digging for stamps and I find the glitter. I was organized at one time, but it's gotten out of control again. The green and red-dressed figurine is chalk as is the boy with the blue cap. The cute boy with the collar/wings just came from Prydes, but the other stuff has been lurking in the basement.

Great salt and pepper shaker figurines formerly waiting in a basement drawer to be put in a mosaic. I can't remember where I found them, maybe the Jessie James Antique Mall in St. Joe.

More cute figurines perched on old blocks.

I thought my "Talking with the Dead" book looked "cute" beside my cracked-in-the-head night light. Friday night, my babysitter told me she'd describe my home decor style as casual elegance meets the macabre. I was so flattered!!!

How long will it take before I'm vacuuming up buttons?

The talcum powder and tobacco tins were hidden downstairs. They may still go into a mosaic, but why not show them off in the meantime? They are just the right kind of rusty.

And I don't think I ever posted a pic of the wonderful pillows my fabulous mother-in-law makes for me out of old feed sacks. The goal back in the day was for people to buy enough feed in the right patterned sack to be able to sew them into clothes. I love the vintage feel of the designs and colors. It was a great day with a lot of laughing and Wii-playing. Happy birthday, Mom!

No comments: